[Blackpool] Linux format submission

MJ Hewitt admin at pcrecycler.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 11:47:45 UTC 2010

Hi everyone -

On page 14, issue 138 of Linux Format magazine, Graham Morrison asks "How do
you organise your user group meetings?".

I have put this together for submission, does anyone have any corrections or
points to add?

"Our regular Saturday meetings are organised to benefit those who are
attending.
To facilitate this, our mailing list is (can be) used to suggest
topics/projects in advance. Hardware, software, notes and any other
facilities and requirements can then be organised and in place on the
Saturday selected by the requesting attendees.

The Saturday meetings are also advertised on our website/Facebook page as
"open house/drop in" to encourage new members.
These pages also suggest that potential visitors can follow us on the
mailing list, Twitter, or Facebook, to get a feel of what to expect before
visiting, and also find out what is being covered. This system enables
potential new members to suggest a topic, then turn up when it is covered,
or to watch for a topic of interest and visit then. Each meeting is written
up on the website, usually within a week of taking place.

Our regular Saturday morning meetings could be considered as social events
covering Linux topics on request,  and the level/scope/direction is driven
by participating members.

Several members actively advocate Linux, and organise or get involved with
more ambitious events which would be beyond the scope of our regular
Saturday meetings."

--
Best regards,
Mike Hewitt