[Blackpool] Mark's project suggestions

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:58:31 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

Mark suggested a few projects for the LUG, and I said that I would post
them...which I haven't done yet!!!

So here are Mark's excellent suggestions for projects, please feel free to
comment, and add to as you wish.

I like the media PC, and the emulators, as I love video games.

Les

Linux projects

   1. Media box

Front end graphical interface for non Linux users (no menus)

   - Plays – All video formats
            - Plays – All audio formats
            - Plays – ISO files
            - Plays – PDF files and other text files

Areas to learn from

   - Creating an interface that doesn’t look like a Linux/windows desktop,
   just pictures/icons
   - Learning how to get files to work by using the CLI/scripting
      - Work out additional modes of control via things like touch screen,
            remote control, mobile phone (via Bluetooth etc)

   1. Emulator box

Front end graphical interface for non Linux users (no menus)

   - Plays – arcade games
         - Plays – pre – 8 bit computer software
         - Plays – home 8, 16 bits computers software
         - Plays – 8, 16, 32 bit games console software

Areas to learn from

   - Creating an interface that doesn’t look like a Linux/windows desktop,
      just pictures
      - Learning how to get files to work by using the CLI/scripting
      - Creating input devices, arcade sticks (maybe converting USB pads
      into them), arcade track balls, dual arcade sticks
      - Creating interfaces to connect old computer/console peripherals to
      work with the emulation box…hard drives, floppy drives etc

   1. Server

Areas to learn from

   - Setting up firewalls
   - Setting up file encryptions
   - Strong password systems
   - Software / data monitoring on the server

   1. Linux on hacked hardware

Areas to learn from

   - Take something like an original Xbox and hacking it so it runs Linux
   - Getting USB connections on it (would probably involve soldering etc)
   - Change to larger hard drive
   - Make it a media / emulator box

   1. Monitoring station

   - Multi-camera observation suite
   - Temperature monitoring and cooling/heating system e.g. green house
   - Smart house

Areas to learn from

   - Usage and file/data storage
   - Scheduling system
   - Achieving storage
   - Setting up
   - Creating interfaces to external peripherals

   1. Robots or external devices programmed/controlling though Linux

   - Programming an Arduino board etc