[Blackpool] Mark's project suggestions

Arran Gallagher arrangallagher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:12:46 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm very interested in the Arduino stuff, I look forward to it! I should be
able to help with the server side of things:

>1. Server
>Areas to learn from
> - Setting up firewalls
Here we could look at iptables. Also at closing the listening ports of
unused services. Fail2ban for sshd.

> - Setting up file encryptions
Truecrypt. I think many debian based distro installers give you the option
to encrypt /home. And I'm sure LVM can do encrypted volumes.

> - Strong password systems
Here we could look at one time passwords, maybe even smart cards. As well as
publickey authentication for ssh.

> - Software / data monitoring on the server
Things like logwatch (which I've recently seen in action on CentOS.) Top,
KSysguard, web based solutions like Cacti and Nagois etc.RRDTools for
graphing all manner of data; I have some of my own scripts and graphs I
could demostrate.

Plus a whole heap of server related things!

Thanks,

Arran