[Blackpool] Laptop Rebuild

Jon Chamberlain jonachamberlain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:01:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

Finally had enough of my laptop running slowly, and (after a great LUG
meeting), rebuilt it over the weekend using Ubuntu 10.10.

Went very well actually - the 'secret sauce' was to backup everything in
the home folder, rather than trying to be selective. The laptop so now
very responsive again - so I am well pleased. I did have to install a
large number of applications on top of the base install (including
WINE), but that was relatively painless using the Ubuntu 'App
Marketplace' ;-) As they say, YMMV

One thing that surprised me was that I still had to manually
re-instigate my email accounts, todos, memo's and calendars in
Evolution, although the mail itself was all there after the restore.

If anyone is interested in the gory details, just ask or grab me at the
next meeting.

Cheers,
Jon