[Blackpool] KdenLive Video Editor

Jon Chamberlain jonachamberlain at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:14:17 UTC 2011

Think I may have fixed my problem with Kdenlive (fingers-crossed).

The problem was that when adding clips into the empty project, the
application would quit whilst apparently generating thumbnails for the
clips.

Running the application from the command line, and repeating the action
that was causing it to quit (which was just adding clips to the
project), I got several errors, including the following:

        params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
        "/home/jonchamberlain/.smb/smb.conf":
        	No such file or directory
        params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
        "/home/jonchamberlain/.smb/smb.conf.append":
        	No such file or directory

Looks like it was invoking samba (for some reason), and looking for the
config file in the wrong place (at least for my system).

So, I did the following (in my home directory):

        mkdir .smb
        cd .smb
        ln /etc/samba/smb.conf

This creates an empty directory, and a link to where the file actually
lives. Not sure if this is a good workaround or a bad hack  - perhaps
someone has a view?? ;-)

At this point, running the application again and adding clips still
caused the application to quit, but this time a KDE helper app
intercepted the error, and suggested adding a missing package
(kdenlive-dbg), which I did.

That seemed to do the trick and I can now seemingly work again in
KdenLive. I can't say I fully understand why it resolved the issue,
hence that's why I'm sharing the information in case someone would care
to throw a little light on the subject. :-)

Cheers,
Jon