[Blackpool] Fwd: OKAY COMPUTER 2 - response needed asap

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:36:23 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Anna Morris" <say.hello.to.anna at googlemail.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2011 11:51
Subject: OKAY COMPUTER 2 - response needed asap
To: "Team MFS" <fsuk-manchester-team at nongnu.org>, "Samantha Bail" <
samantha.patricia.bail at googlemail.com>, "SonniesEdge" <sonniesedge at gmail.com>,
"Les Pounder" <lespounder at gmail.com>

Hi, I have been musing on the possibility okay computer 2, and collating the
ideas thrown around after the first one. I have just agreed with mike to
come along tomorrow and help out, and as I have a load of posters left over
from OC1, I was planning on cutting the dates of the bottom and using them
to direct people to the website for a review of OC1 and some preliminary
info about the next event, however I have no preliminary info atm. I am
being very forward and assumptive as there has been little definite
aggreement from the parties involved, but I have 150 posters and a bag of
ideas so I might as well join in!

*The idea*:

To merge what we have already. with Girl Geek's build a PC, and work with
other org's too, for example manLUG, to hold a* two day event. *The first
day would be building the a machine, and philosophy - the second day I
really want to have a proper training session for people new to GNU/LINUX,
with some real debate and several speakers. *I want more politics, more tech
stuff and much much more on how to trouble shoot.* I am also very open to
working on different OS and comparing them, to open the weekend up from just
ubuntu, and perhaps even having a formal debate about issues at the end of
the second day (for the participants, not the organisers) where people can
really learn the* confidence to join in on arguments and express what the
feel about technology*.

The weekend would focus on *empowerment and intensive skill building*. I
want non-advanced tech's getting involved to feel more confident around
strongly opinionated people such as, no offence dear, Simon, and to feel
less intimidated by the non GUI stuff that they will come into contact with
when getting help from, for example, people like JP and Mike. I have decided
that these things are inevitable and its best to train people how to deal
with them in a positive way. I also want people to see *differnt groups
working together*. And I want an established tech help list for afterwards
set up so Les and doesn't have to keep on dealing with everything, and so
the contacts will stop coming through mad lab. The weekend should also allow
those who came to the first one to build on that day.

*the date*: after freshers week and after the big event that people keep
saying is in September.

*Urgent response to:

*I need *a date, and a preliminary consent from MFS, GIRL GEEK and anyone
else who wants to join in.* I will re-jig the website tonight so that
tomorow I can hand out the flyers and drum up some initial interest and get
some names on a mailing list..

sorry for last min.  been busy!!