[Blackpool] Fwd: Re: [U-Cubed] thoughts

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Mon May 9 08:10:21 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Jon Spriggs" <jon at sprig.gs>
Date: 8 May 2011 19:19
Subject: Re: [U-Cubed] thoughts
To: "UCubed - an Ubuntu and Upstream UnWorkshop day" <u-cubed at pielists.net>
Cc: "SonniesEdge" <sonniesedge at gmail.com>, "Les Pounder" <
lespounder at gmail.com>, <blackpool at mailman.lug.org.uk>, <
MAN-LUG at listserv.manchester.ac.uk>, "Team MFS" <
fsuk-manchester-team at nongnu.org>

I'm happy to arrange for a mailing list to be created, but I'd like to have
a chat first. Whether that's face to face, on IRC, XMPP Group chat, mumble
voice chat or via a telephone based conference bridge I have access to.

Vote here: http://www.doodle.com/kib2ff7zfvwcnqxx

I'm not setting myself up to run the ubergroup (hell, I've barely got enough
time to get to work each day!), but UCubed has used nearly all these
resources and I've got some experience of starting the ball rolling.

All the best,
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs
On 8 May 2011 15:22, "Anna Morris" <say.hello.to.anna at googlemail.com> wrote:
> ok, so I have a thought cluster for the pool...
>
> 1) we seem to be banging events together at quite a pace, and have a lot
of
> misunderstandings, clashes and talks of merging... its getting crowded
(for
> better and worse)
>
> 2) we have just begun to discuss co-running a really big kick ass event
next
> year, inspiration for which is stemming from situation in point 1)
>
> *so... why don't we*
>
> 3) set up (now) a formal co-ordination group between "us" all, and the
rest
> of the groups in the area (which area?).
>
> 4) This group would maximise our collective skills and productivity while
> maintaining our unique groups. We could have a pooled calendar of events
on
> a central website, with links to all the groups, we could keep firmer tabs
> on when and where and what events are going on and who needs help, without
> us having to co-subscribe to a single philosophy. A central group would
have
> so many advantages with not so much work. In fact it would probably save a
> lot of time. It would help ease the current communication issues with
events
> run by more than one party, like okay computer. It would help maximise
> attendees at events and make the landscape much clearer to those
> not-familiar with the different clans. It could also really help the
> possibility of a localised support hub for newbies, spreading the load a
> little, and would present a really unified face to the big wide world of
> businesses and non-techs. It MAY help solve some of the deeper problems
that
> I am beginning to see with in the community: isolationism, burnout,
paranoia
> and lack of women (I wonder if the last one contributes to the first 3!
tee