[Blackpool] Fwd: [GeekUp] Study Group for Stanford Uni AI/ML free course from October 2011 @ DoES Liverpool

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:30:30 UTC 2011

Anyone interested?

Les
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Hakim Cassimally" <hakim.cassimally at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 18, 2011 2:44 PM
Subject: [GeekUp] Study Group for Stanford Uni AI/ML free course from
October 2011 @ DoES Liverpool
To: "geekup" <geekup at googlegroups.com>, <does-liverpool at googlegroups.com>

Hi,

You might have seen that Stanford Uni will be offering 2 exciting courses
Free and Online in Autumn 2011, in "A bold experiment in distributed
education".

  "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" http://ai-class.com/
  "Machine Learning" http://ml-class.org/

If you're interested, you should register for interest now, there will be a
full signup process later.    The course content will be delivered by video,
and there will be exercises and opportunities for discussion.  There's no
certificate as such (though you get a "statement of accomplishment" if you
complete it.)

Remote learning is all very well, but we'd also like to have a local study
group.  We'll set up a monthly meeting at DoES Liverpool, and everyone who's
following along on either course in Northwest UK is welcome!

   DoES Liverpool
   4th Floor, Gostin Building
   32-36 Hanover Street
   L1 4LN
   MAP + photo: http://bit.ly/Gostins
   INFO: http://doesliverpool.com

DoES is conveniently located for railway stations Lime Street (10 mins
walk) and Central rail (5 mins).  Last trains back to
Chester/Manchester/Leeds are after 11pm.

Co-working is available at DoES if you'd like to work in Liverpool centre
for the day/afternoon before the meeting (and first time is free if you
bring cake!)

We will meet between 7-9pm, once a month, perhaps on a Tuesday, from
September.  (Details to be confirmed when we have the course schedule.)

(The course begins in October.  The September meeting will be to go through
any prerequisites we're rusty on, for example Probability and Linear
Algebra).

There will be wifi, a projector, coffee (and stronger drinks available by
donation for after-study), and I will try to get hold of the (optional)
course books.  I expect we will do some/all/none of:

  * watch course videos
  * discuss things we're finding hard
  * work together on exercises
  * use the time as an opportunity to read/study by self
  * present something to group
  * commiserate about how hard it is and how dumb we are

If you're interested in coming, then please:

  1) register interest with one or both of AI or ML courses, as linked above
  2) let me know you'd like to come; which class(es) you signed up to; and
what evenings are best for you!

Cheers,
Hakim

PS: Some other Useful links: