[Blackpool] Next meeting is Saturday 24 Sept

DONALD SIMPSON donaldsimpson208 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 23 09:21:19 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to suggest a project for the group to consider.
I have been given a working DEC ALPHA server.
Some information can be found here:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/archive/800/

It is an Alpha 800 5/500. It looks a bit like a large PC server it has PCI and ISA slots, CDROM and 3 SCSCI disks.

Currently the installed operating system is VMS, my intention was to install Linux onto this machine just out of curiosity but I don't really have the time.

So if anyone is interested I can bring this along on Saturday, (we don't have to start it this Saturday) as long as Mike is happy for this machine to be housed at PC Recycler for a while.
I will need to park a bit closer than normal as it weighs 28Kg.

It has the normal PS2 keyboard and mouse sockets and a standard VGA connector.

I have connected a monitor and a keyboard to it but they did not do anything. These connectors were never normally used so they are probably disabled as it had a serial terminal connected to COM1 and this provided the main user interface. So we would have to make a simple RS422 to RS232 adaptor cable I have all of the parts required for this.
This site has details of the DEC MMJ connector.
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html
If anyone is interested in this project then let me know.

Donald.