[Blackpool] Fwd: [GeekUp] Hackademy CodeCamp 'Hack to the Future'

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:01:29 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Daren Chandisingh" <dchandisingh at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 31, 2011 2:41 PM
Subject: [GeekUp] Hackademy CodeCamp &apos;Hack to the Future&apos;
To: <geekup at googlegroups.com>

May be of interest to people on this list, particularly anyone interested in
engaging kids and sparking their interest in all things computing and
digital creativity.

http://hackademy3.eventbrite.com/

"Hackademy CodeCamp 'Hack to the Future'
Saturday, 11 February 2012 from 10:00 to 17:30 (GMT)
Preston, United Kingdom

Start by reading how our Hackademy 'Inside the Machine' event on Oct
26th 2011 provided 30 children opportunities to engage in physical
computing projects with Arduino, sensor boards, building a computer,
micro controllers and Hama beads. [1]

Our next full day event is to be our biggest yet, with over 200 children
from around the region taking part in this exciting opportunity - think
BarCamp for kids. The event is principally aimed at youngsters aged
between 11 and 18 years old. The day will follow an unconference
style format, so there will be no published schedule of speakers in
advance.

The aim is to enable today's digital creators to engage with the digital
creators of tomorrow.

Digital Creators - Speakers We need 50 digital creatives, games
designers, visual effects designers, programmers, developers,
hardware and software engineers, producers and students to present
workshops, masterclasses, demonstrations and talks to engage and
inspire the digital creators of tomorrow.

Teachers/Parents - Volunteers We also require 50 teachers/parents
to sign up and ensure the day runs safely and smoothly.

We need generous sponsorship to enable this event to happen, it is
intended to make this event free for all children taking part. Please
contact the host Alan O'Donohoe[2] to discuss sponsoring this event.

 We are looking for individuals and organisations to sponsor refreshments,
meals, t shirts, entertainment, prizes etc.

This event will take place at Our Lady's High School PR2 3SQ. It is
envisaged that other regions in the UK will organise other events
following a similar model and will want to contribute to the success
of this venture."

[1] http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/hackademy-live-blog/
[2] @teknoteacher on Twitter

--