[Blackpool] Hackerspace thoughts for Saturday

MJ Hewitt admin at pcrecycler.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 11:55:53 UTC 2012

Hi everybody-

Starting up a hackerspace has been proposed, and is under discussion.
For those interested in this,
Here are my first thoughts. These are not proposals or guidelines,
just ideas to start from. Initially, we need to determine what we
would like to achieve or aim to achieve.

About our hackerspace:
We are not a true hackerspace in the generally accepted sense because:-
we are not open 24/7, we do not do drop in, we do not supply
tools,equipment or materials, storage space, showers, or any of the
multitude of things on offer at the larger established hackerspaces.

We open for a couple of hours on a Saturday and offer a space where
like minded people can meet to discuss, plan and implement projects.

Before physical work can start on a project in the space, the
specification of the project needs to be provided, including tools,
equipment and materials to be used. The specification will be used to
determine if there are any health and safety issues that need to be
addressed.

The person(s) undertaking the project will need to sign a
release of liability form, a template example is available at :-
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Release_of_Liability

Before use, a UK version based on this template will be needed and the
Health and Safety executive consulted.

As stated at the beginning, these are starting points for discussion,
which I have come up with after trawling hackerspace.org. The space
will be for the users, therefore the users should decide how or if we
move forward with this proposal.

Thoughts and ideas please?

If you can't make the meeting, please use this mailing list to put any
suggestions forward that you might have.

--
Best regards,
Mike Hewitt

PC Recycler Ltd.