[Blackpool] Development project anyone?

Simon Carr simonjcarr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:41:27 UTC 2012

Great to know that there is some interest. Tony, I know you have a web
camera. Rob do you have one? I was thinking we could setup a google meeting
to discuss the way forward from here. As it happens I am getting a web
camera tomorrow. Are you up for a video conference one evening this week,
or at the weekend. Let me know what's best for you.

I have done quite a lot of PHP in the past both from scratch and using the
Codeigniter framework. I'v also done a bit of Python, but am a bit rusty on
that. I have never worked with Android or Java before so am sitting through
some loooooong tutorials on Youtube to try and get some basic knowledge.

We need to decide what the best strategy will be in terms of architecture.
Here are some of the things I have been pondering.

   - My initial thought was to have Python doing the monitoring and have
   PHP and Android interface with Python to get the server status. I see this
   as having pro's and cons
      - Pros:- It is probably the easiest and it puts all the main coding
      (Monitoring) in the Python scripts. This means that PHP and Android only
      have to connect to the python interface and read the data they are given.
      It also puts the highest processor load on the Python script, which is
      great for the Android and PHP side and Python should be able to
handle it.
      Having the monitoring in Python also gives greater flexibility in making
      the whole thing modular, see below (Going Modular)
      - Cons:- A crash in the python script would mean that no data was
      available to Android or PHP, which could give a false positive to the
      server/processes being down. One way around this could be to
create a cron
      job that runs every 5 minutes and checks that the Python script is still
      running. If it isn't then cron can restart it.
   - What process are we going to monitor initially?
   - Going Modular:- My thought was to make the python script modular so
   that a new monitor module can be written for each process/group of
   processes we want to monitor. These can then be installed/enabled/disabled
   by the user. It also means that very specific monitor modules can be
   written to check for example an applications status. This might also make
   it popular with the wider Linux community in the future and get some
   external involvement in the writing and improvement of modules.

Let me know what your thoughts are on how we might approach these ideas. If
you disagree on anything of have other ideas, please share them. This is
the time to do the brain storming so we can set out a development road map.

If anyone else at Tower LUG is interested in joining the party, just shout
up. If we do the programming properly using OOP and modules we can split
the work between us and all get the best learning experience.

Simon