[Blackpool] Fwd: Government spying on us?

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:41:51 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marie Campbell - 38 Degrees <action at 38degrees.org.uk>
Date: Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Subject: Government spying on us?
To: Les Pounder <lespounder at gmail.com>

**
 [image: 38 Degrees Logo]

Dear Les,

*The government has just announced a plan to spy on us all, to be pushed
through “as soon as Parliamentary time allows”.* [1] They want to see
details of who we call, text and email, and which websites we visit -
without any kind of warrant or reason. They want to force phone and
internet companies to install special devices to provide all this data on
each and every one of us. [2]

Experts are lining up to condemn this idea as intrusive, expensive and
ineffective. [3] But we know that when the Labour government announced
similar plans a few years ago, a huge outcry was needed to make them to
back down. [4]

So let's build a massive petition right away, to *show David Cameron that
British citizens simply won’t put up with the government spying on their
every move. Please click here to add your name now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/stop-the-snooping-plan<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a05b/1583053183/VEsH/>
*

A final version of the plan is due to be announced in just one month's
time. [5] We need to move fast if we're to get this scrapped before then. *A
big petition right now could persuade David Cameron to rethink before he
commits too deeply.* His officials will report the rising number of
signatures to him. And they will warn him that he can expect voters to
challenge him every step of the way.

MPs from different political parties are already expressing unease. [6] One
prominent Conservative MP, former shadow Home Secretary David Davis, has
been in touch with the 38 Degrees office to say:* "These plans would give
the state huge new powers to snoop on ordinary people. They'd be expensive,
unnecessary, and a huge invasion of everybody's privacy. If they are to be
stopped, public pressure will be critical – including from 38 Degrees
members".*

*Add your name to the petition today:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/stop-the-snooping-plan<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a05b/1583053183/VEsE/>
*

*David Cameron claims this will make us safer. But this is about spying on
all of us, not serious criminals.* It's already perfectly possible for the
government to monitor people suspected of serious crimes, with proper
permission and oversight. [7] And serious criminals will inevitably find
ways to hide their online identities.

*Most importantly, this isn’t the kind of Britain we want to live in.* We
shouldn’t respond to criminals by abandoning our principles and scrapping
basic civil liberties. We shouldn’t treat every citizen like a potential
criminal who needs to be monitored.* *Help stand up for our right to
privacy when we browse the internet or phone our friends -* please sign the
petition and spread the word now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/stop-the-snooping-plan<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a05b/1583053183/VEsF/>
*

Thanks for using your voice,

Marie, Cian, David, Hannah, Becky, James and the 38 Degrees

PS: This plan would be like demanding the Royal Mail keep a copy of every
single letter it handles. It's exactly the kind of thing this government
announced with a fanfare that they wouldn't do. If we let them get away
with this, what comes next? ID cards? Long-term detention without trial?
Sign the petition to put a stop to the government’s snooping plans now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/stop-the-snooping-plan<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a05b/1583053183/VEsC/>

PPS: 38 Degrees members have been voting on whether to continue our
campaign to protect the NHS. 96% voted yes to continuing to campaign! You
can read an update on what will happen next, here:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/nhs-yes-vote-blog<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a054/1583053183/VEsD/>

NOTES
[1] Telegraph: Internet activity 'to be monitored' under new laws
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9179087/Internet-activity-to-be-monitored-under-new-laws.html<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a055/1583053183/VEsA/>
[2] Telegraph: New powers to record every phone call and email makes
surveillance '60m times worse'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9180191/New-powers-to-record-every-phone-call-and-email-makes-surveillance-60m-times-worse.html<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a056/1583053183/VEsB/>
[3] Independent: Backlash over plans to monitor all internet use
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/backlash-over-plans-to-monitor-all-internet-use-7609010.html<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a057/1583053183/VEsO/>and
Times: Internet law will be a ‘honeypot’ for snoopers
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3372450.ece<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a050/1583053183/VEsP/>
[4] BBC: Warning over need for safeguards in email and web monitoring plan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17580906<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a051/1583053183/VEsHBQ/>
[5] The plans are currently expected to be confirmed in the Queen's Speech
on 9 May. The Queen's Speech is the formal occasion where the government
outlines its plans for the coming session of parliament.
[6] Guardian: Email surveillance plans face Lib Dem rebellion
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/02/email-surveillance-lib-dem-rebellion<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a052/1583053183/VEsHBA/>
[7] Telegraph: Web survelliance: Q&A
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9180277/Web-surveillance-QandA.html<http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c05760/2d469c37/5b34ec75/4674a053/1583053183/VEsHBw/>
.

This email was sent to lespounder at gmail.com.

*38 DEGREES* Registered Company No. 6642193

--
*Les Pounder*
http://about.me/lespounder