[Blackpool] virgin media

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1212 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 19:40:31 UTC 2012

Hi Guy's

I got my new Virgin WiFi router/modem for the new faster cable
connection today, and I passed on the £30 charge to have it set up for me.

Now up and running and have 20mbs (double what I had) all free gratis
from Virgin. I've tested with a wired connection and I am getting the
advertised speed although my PC upstairs with a WiFi dongle connected is
getting about 12mbs, which is still acceptable given that I'm still only
paying what I used to for a dial up connection back in the late 90's.

On the whole the set up was quite painless and activation took only
about 10 minutes after I'd connected everything up. One interesting
thing the Virgin Router, (which is made by Netgear) comes with a little
booklet with the GPL 2/3 licence ,so It's a good bet there is a Linux
kernel embedded in it somewhere :-) Another victory for FLOSS.

Tony