[Blackpool] Mail server security cert

James Page jmsp.1983 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 20:59:26 UTC 2013

I'm a bit stuck with understanding how SSL certificates work for mail
servers - do any of you know a bit about them?

If I run a mailserver that hosts mail for multiple domains, do I need
multiple certificates, or will just one do?

For example, say the hostname is server.james.com and I'm also hosting mail
for alice.com, bob.com and Charlie.com. Each account uses the subdomain
alias mail. as their mail server.

In this instance, would a single certificate for server.james.com be
sufficient, or would I need a cert for each mail subdomain? If I look in
message headers, the only server mentioned is usually the server hostname
(rather than the mail alias'), so my best guess would be that only a cert
for the hostname is necessary. Is that right?