[Blackpool] Blackpool Digest, Vol 225, Issue 4

Oliver Clark olly.clark at talktalk.net
Sat Feb 22 16:40:28 UTC 2014

Hi Stuart,

Welcome looking forward to meeting you.

Regards

Olly

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Naylor <stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org>
To: blackpool at mailman.lug.org.uk <blackpool at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:11
Subject: Re: [Blackpool] Blackpool Digest, Vol 225, Issue 4

I think I will wait to next Saturday.

Might as well introduce myself though.

Currently much involved with Samba4 and Zentyal.

Samba4 is a opensource 2008 AD DC and its taken a european court and some stella
reverse engineering to get it where it is.

Heterogeneous network solutions are an absolute must as the M$ monopoly is a
concrete egg to smash and I have many scares that bear witness to this.

I use Zentyal as its a 10 minute install and setup for me to gain a free
imap/smtp/mapi email server aka openchange, has suricata for ids/ips, run apache
for virtual hosts and also I forgot about virtual mail domains.

Squid as a proxy, dansguardian as a web nanny, mysql and actually a whole load
more.

The important thing is you can have it up and running in about ten minutes.

Its under heavy development at the moment and the worse thing is the duplicate
ldap on 390 which was a cross over thing while they introduced Samba4.

Its synchronises  the AD ldap on 389 to an openldap one on 390 and as far as I
am concerned it stinks. But its going.

Zentyal.org if you want to have a peep the run a free bleeding edge version for
download that isn't that bleeding edge but does require a few fixes.

Then my other project that I am really eagerly awaiting is the arrival of LXC
1.0

 https://www.stgraber.org/2013/12/20/lxc-1-0-blog-post-series/ explains it all
and he is the main ubuntu guy pulling the strings on LXC.

I have in the past played with pic micro chips and blown a few raspberries but
with the cheap SOC solutions running android nowadays means android is more
likely as a platform.

Started in 86 after college doing old dos support with things like wordperfect
and lotus123 and have been doing it for so long that I guess I am caught now.

First computer a ZX81 in 79 Oooof those where the days :)

Stuart