[Blackpool] Downloading & Installing Linux

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1212 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 10 15:28:35 UTC 2014

Hi Elizabeth

Depending on the PC you are installing on then it may be that you'll
want/need both 32 and 64bit versions.

You don't need any special software to download the iso image but you
will need to use software to write the image to a DVD or Flash drive in
order to boot into the live disk.

Brasero will write iso images to DVD and that is in current versions of
mint.

A program called UNetbootin will create a Flash drive with the iso image
and can be installed from the package manager.

Maybe downloading an iso image, then creating DVD's and pen-drives with
Mint should be the next tutorial.

Ubuntu 14.04 didn't play with it for long but it seemed OK if you like
Unity but having to configure it to the way I like it afterwards takes a
while. I know much of the software I use is in Mint by default, so I'll
be sticking to that for day to day use.

Tony