[Blackpool] Saturday 9 May 2015

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 11:29:42 UTC 2015

Hi,
Thanks Mike, I will be there.

In the past week:
I managed to finally get Windows 10 installed on my Sony laptop, a few issues still like Powershell not working.  I got Windows 10 IoT on my Raspberry Pi2 and compiled their example project in Visual Studio and got it to work.

I think it's time for more people to try the Kool-Aid: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/windows_10_raspberry_pi_2_eben_upton_interview/  I'm liking the cut of Microsofts jib, Visual Studio Community contains the same functionality as Visual Studio 2013 >>Professional Edition<< and is FREE.  The fact they've called it the 'Community' edition and all of the open source and maker based stuff you can do with it is a big indication that 'the man' has become more of a 'dude'.  http://microsoft.hackster.io/  Microsoft thinks of us as cool 'hacksters' now, makes a nice change from 'thieves and parasites'... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists

Ages ago I took my dog to the vets because I thought she was developing joint problems maybe arthritis, the vet shook her head and said: No Mr Garlick - your dog is just overweight.  My Bob robot is having the same problems, he has the weight of a breadboard balanced on his head whilst I play with the ESP8266 and Teensy trying to get him to walk based on http commands.  I am using the 3.3v Teensy whilst I am waiting for 3.3v Arduino Pro Minis to arrive from China.  I haven't gotten any further with walking, the weight of breadboard and weight shifting additional servo and plate is causing strain issues with the servos and brackets which leads to inconsistencies in the gait.  I have started printing a new Bob, I have redesigned and printed the feet and leg brackets from scratch with little tweaks in the geometry and trying to shave volume/weight where I can.

I will bring my Bob with ESP8266 setup if Les is there and wants to swap ESP8266 notes.  I will  bring some new parts and servos, if Jeff wants to learn more on servos I will be able to demo in more detail about servos and how easy it is to use them.

Regards