[Blackpool] Saturday 27th June

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:50:50 UTC 2015

Hi,I will see you there.
A lot of talk about ESP8266 last week and at Blackpool Geekup so it'll be an ESP8266 day, I will bring my poster dashboard voting project and finish off the write up in the blog.
I have an 8x8x8 LED cube hooked up to a Pi with the 8 core Propeller Hat board.  Using the PWM library is perfect for controlling the cube and another nice little Python project for me to learn on, the PWM dims the LEDs nicely .  That can wait for another week.
 I am writing this email in the office, generally skiving/procrastinating.  I've been coding in Lua and at least in the iPad environment they've given me here it's an utterly hateful experience.  I can't wait to get back to crusty 1980s Pascal... never thought I'd say that.
No Windows corner this week, my Windows 10 laptop just seems to work at the moment, it's boringly good.  It's on the fast ring of updates and every week the UI looks different, I guess a lot of A/B testing still going on.   No dramas and the tablet mode on my VAIO Flip is still very good.

I took down two trees in my back garden last night and I have half a dozen stumps in my front garden from last year that need to go so I've been researching...  I'm getting a 2lb fibreglass handled mattock for sure!  What surprised me is that it has become easy to get pretty much 100% pure Potassium Nitrate again.  The last time I tried was a long while ago and I don't know if it was because I was young or the IRA were still putting potassium nitrate bombs in the bins over here but I thought 100% pure potassium nitrate couldn't be bought any more, I thought it was heavily restricted.  I just ordered normal stump killer in the end, but it's raised the idea to revisit a project I wanted to do in my late teens.
I haven't yet got the books that Heeed recommended or tried the place Donald suggested, but they are on 'the list'.  I normally do audio books from audible so I can listen to books whilst I am doing something else.  When I have time to sit and focus on just one thing I generally watch something Japanese on TV rather than read.  I need the subtitles so I have to focus 100% on the TV to follow some of the crazy storylines.  I subscribe to Crunchyroll for Anime (it's ok, a lot of the major titles are missing though), I watch Japanese drama as well.

back to Lua... ugh