[Blackpool] Saturday 4th July 2015

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:02:48 UTC 2015

Hi,I've just been asked to help out on a Scout camp this Saturday so won't be there :o(.
It's been too hot to be indoors hacking this week.  I've been in my garden trying to get as far as I can hacking the tree stumps and roots before deploying the chemical warfare.
It's bad form to use a chainsaw on anything but clean wood, even if you powerwash the roots the grit remains and ruins the chain, a man should look after his tools and the chain can pickup something sharp and fling it at your head...  But the convenience and speed of a chainsaw makes cutting a stump out a lot less of a chore (actually it becomes an enjoyable job!).  I was doing this with two expensive chains and sharpening the chains between runs last year, which is tedious and it doesn't take long before the grit ruins the way the chains run in the saw and they have to be dumped anyway.  Cheap Chinese goods to the rescue yet again, at £5 a pop for a new chain it makes it economical to use the chainsaw (it's still scarily unsafe though, plenty of protection req'd).  I have two cheapo chains and I'm still on the first one, I'll probably resharpen them once and then dump them as running them too long is probably damaging the saw itself.

After looking at the Makerspace progress I had another look at my lower ground floor space and decided I am going to do a proper job same as Mike.  I'll take the walls down to brick, tanking slurry, 25mm of insulation, battens and probably I will go for OSB walls in this workshop.  Floor is screeded, I have read that should go back down to the concrete slab for the tanking slurry to really bond in.  I don't have any major damp issues in this room and I'm loath to take out the screeded floor as it's quite well done.  So I won't get a good tanking fillet between the wall brickwork and floor (I believe the tanking will not bond in with the screeded floor but I will come it from the wall for about a metre with the tanking anyway).  I am thinking of using the sheet you use to tank a shower wetroom to overlap the wall/floor join by a metre or so.  25mm foam insulation on the floor on top of the wetroom style tanking sheet and a floating chipboard floor.  Door frames will stay as is, most people including myself will fit under them without having to duck!  OSB walls will be a great base for a shelving and storage system.  It's not a massive space so the costs won't mount up.

I will be at Preston Raspberry Jam with my soldering iron helping out younglings with a soldering project.  I have promised someone I'll have the ESP8266 project done and written up on the blog by then too...  we'll see how that goes.

Regards
Arthur