[Blackpool] Saturday 11th July 2015

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 08:30:41 UTC 2015

I will see you there.
This week the ESP8266 voting thing worked at Preston Raspberry Jam, connection was sketchy but it worked, a few different people managed to vote and there was interest in the content of the poster too.  I now think that my bit banging the servo control is blocking the wifi module, I read that the delay command didn't obstruct the wifi module but I am not so sure.  If I use the servo library, which would be timer interrupt driven rather than delay driven, the wifi module will free up and I should see improvement.  I've left that to try on Saturday.
I have 6 of the ESP8266 boards that Mike Hewitt showed last time I was there.  I like the NodeMCU board Les posted about, I think that is much better for hacking around on a breadboard.  But the other board with the battery pack seems to be the one if you just want to build a simple sensor to stick in your house somewhere.  I have ordered digital temp and humidity sensors to match.  It is an LDR on the board so something else to maybe play with on Saturday.
I am definitely up for a chat Mike Hewitt...  we also need to investigate the power saving options the Arduino libraries have given us for the ESP8266.
I cannot get the RPIO.PWM library working on my RaspPi A+...  I will stick that in my bag and see if I can get any help.  It's installed and bits are working but the example servo code they give isn't working for me.
I had to tip a washing machine, it was too heavy to shift on my own so I stripped it and took the useful bits.  When I took it to the tip it was nicely separated for recycling.  My local tip isn't requiring all of the new kinds of waste permits even a private householder needs yet so I was all right with the washing machine parts: metal, small electrical, plastic.  But when I tried to dump the concrete weights the guy said I needed the inert waste permit.  He agreed that if I hadn't stripped the machine down and tipped it whole they would have taken it but because the 3 bricks worth of concrete was now separate I couldn't tip it.  The Lancashire County Council website was OKish (30 seconds to do a post code lookup) and I got my paper permit within 2 days, but I still think this wasn't the common sense cost effective way of dealing with a guy that took the time to properly recycle a washing machine and all over 3 bricks of concrete.

Regards
Arthur