[Blackpool] ESP8266 day tomorrow

Arthur Garlick arthur_garlick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:38:11 UTC 2016

Hello,I will see you for some hacking tomorrow and afterwards at Blackpool Raspberry Jam.
This week I finished and demo'd the Kalman Filter 'robot' at Preston Raspberry Jam.  This uses some of the ideas from the robot guy David Buckley around serial comms and control.  This method allows the robot to be controlled and supply sensor data to a piece of code such as Martin Wests Kalman code written in Python.  I haven't joined the robot to the code yet but it is in progress.  I have made two of these robots so Martin can have a play too.  I will write this up for the 'new' Hackspace blog.

I demo'd the comms happening through the Arduino Serial monitor and the USB to Serial lead, I was left wishing I had it working wirelessly.  So I am going back to the ESP8266.

The Arduino environment has not been working with the ESP8266 board for the last two versions of the Arduino.cc IDE.  So the last version that was working was v1.6.5.  I've tried v1.6.6 and v1.6.7 and they can't recognise the ESP8266 board.

I checked https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino today and I see that it appears to have been fixed for v1.6.7 on 4th Jan.   I will be setting myself up with this latest update tonight, I hope it works, I'll be seeing if I can get the command/response comms to work wirelessly.

I had another go and still wasn't able to get X11 forwarding to do what I expected on the Mac Book when SSH into a Pi.
See some of you tomorrow.

Regards
Arthur