[Blackpool] Fwd: [lpd-europe] Release press article now?

M Hewitt admin at pcrecycler.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 08:50:12 UTC 2016

Hi folks -

Some conversations about LPD

Mike
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hauke Laging <hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.de>
Date: 14 July 2016 at 20:19
Subject: Re: [lpd-europe] Release press article now?
To: LPD discussion list Europe <lpd-europe at mlists.in-berlin.de>

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juli 2016, 20:26:41 CEST schrieb Michel Gerin:

> Your proposal is specially interesting for LUGs that are starting this
> LPD for the first time.

surprisingly that is probably not true. The experience in Germany (just
experience, not even the slightest theory of an explanation) is that it
actually becomes MORE DIFFICULT to be covered by the IT media.

We have not had any coverage of nationwide non-IT media at all. It is rather
easy to be covered by local newspapers (seems in general to be easier in
small
cities – absolutely nothing yet in Berlin...). There were 72 cities in
Germany
for LPD 2016.1, 15 of them got local media coverage (which I know of i.e.
online). I do not know whether all hosting organisations have contacted
their
local media.

> That's our case in Belgium. We are wondering how to reach the target?
> Did you already used medias for your own first LPDs? If it's the case,
> which types of media were used?
> Which media gave the best results ?

As long as there is no national LPD coordination it doesn't make sense to
contact IT media IMHO. You should contact your local newspaper and create
entries in your local event calendars. You may also advertise offline with
posters (there will be a separate mail about that soon).

> A local public library will help us, for LPD 2016.2, by managing the
> social media network.

In Germany we have many adult education centres as locations. Most of them
have good local press contacts. You should talk to the library about that.
Even if they don't, then it might be better to have them send the press
release.

> Did you already used social media networks to announce the LPD? With
> good results ?

As far as I know only Germany has social media presences yet:

https://www.facebook.com/linuxpresentationday
https://plus.google.com/+LinuxpresentationdayDeDeutschlandweit/
https://twitter.com/linux_prstn_day

On Twitter we use #lpd_${tld} as hash tag i.e. #lpd_de for Germany and
#lpd_int for international stuff.

There is no international presence because I guess that there is no relevant
audience for it. Social media is for the visitors and for gaining more
locations but both needs a national coordination and web site.

> Sorry to bother you with questions not related to the topic "Release
> press article now?" but the correct info will probably come from
> experiences made by other LUGs. We probably need these infos right at
> the beginning of our first "try" :-)

There will be an English template for a press release. This is the last one:

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/docs/pm_it.draft-1_en.odt

CU

Hauke
--
Hotline für den Linux Presentation Day: tel:+49-30-55579620 (13–23 h)
    mobil: tel:+49-176-74827253 (13–23 h)

XMPP (Chat mit OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997

Best Regards,

Mike Hewitt

PC Recycler Ltd
Unit 9 Brinwell Road