[Bradford] Install a wireless device on linux machine

Matthew Callaghan callaghan.matthew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:49:04 UTC 2008

Hi All

Not sure if I have asked this question at the right place or not but here
goes.

I have recently bought a wireless adaptor for my desktop and as I am such a
newbie, I am struggling to install it. Coming from a windows background, I
would just insert the CD and let the auto run take care of it. However
in Linux this of course won't happen.

I have tried Googling, but maybe because of the words I am using all I seem
to ever get back is advice on installing Linux from CD, not a device (and
its drivers)

Can anyone give me some simple tips on how to do this.

The device in question can be got to from the below link and is supported
on Linux.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6107087/-/Product.html?searchstring=Edimax+EW-7717UN+Wireless+N+USB+Network+Adaptor&searchsource=0

This is actually something simple that might be worth noting down for the
next meeting, as after all, any newbies like myself coming from windows will
struggle to do this. Maybe worth while adding it the Wiki.

Anyway, thanks all

Paddy