[Bradford] is it normal ?

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Sun Oct 12 14:33:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 12:38 +0100, Richard Thomas wrote:

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://xpd259.blogspot.com/

<snip>

>         The immortal question here is ... How much RAM do you have?
>
>         The chances are you are occasionally using swap but it is
>         being cleared
>         by the time you go looking. I on average have 10 apps running
>         and can be
>         building the Crystal Space game engine using jam and invoking
>         multiple
>         shell processes to use all my cpu cores and hardly touch swap
>         on my
>         laptop with 2Gb of RAM and running Ubuntu 8.04.1.
>
>         Regards
>
>         Phil

<snip>

> I have  2gig of ram
> i have conky running to monitor the system , when I used gentoo linux
> I noticed that the swap was in use most of the time even if only a
> tiny amount
> but since i moved to ubuntu 8.4 & 8.10 beta it does not touch the swap
> and i was just concerned
> so thank you for the quick reply

Well... when you used Gentoo no doubt it was an older kernel and much
work has been done inside the kernel on the memory front and what you
are seeing are some of those improvements. Many of us are now
questioning the long time rule of swap = physical_ram * 2 these days and
I see it hotting up as systems have more and more RAM now and is only
going to increase.

Regards

Phil