[Bradford] Idea's for brief introductory talks for new / non technical users

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Fri Oct 24 19:42:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 18:22 +0100, David Carpenter wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 17:31 +0100, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > In promotion and these type of introductory sessions, I would lean
> > towards making it mandatory that any talk must be provided in a
> > downloadable format and available on the wiki.
>
> I'm all for that, but don't be put off if that's just way too much work!

People should not be scared of the work, but if they feel it's too much
for one please get together and collaborate on tutorials and projects.

> Is there an easy way for people to do this without it becoming a chore?
>
> Perhaps much of it should be about referencing existing community
> documentation?

Using links to not reinvent the wheel is good but a person needs to take
into account of certain documentation e.g. the community based stuff
like ubuntu. This documentation can become fast a meld over many
versions of an application and workarounds for issues that only affect a
few and may be be source that confuses and puts off a newbie.

> Again, any ideas?
>
> By the way, great to see the activity on the list -thanks everyone!

I agree and people who want to create content or ask questions be that
about a tutorial or generally should make good use of the list at ever
opportunity!

Regards

Phil