[Bradford] Idea's for brief introductory talks for new / non technical users

Wayne Hanley wayney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 16:17:14 UTC 2008

> must expect for questions to be asked more than once and often. We
> should embrace and guide the user and be mindful that we all started
> somewhere and help when we can catering to a persons current level.

Agreed obviously we need to put across we are a open and friendly group that
have no problems at all with varying levels of skill and that should in no
way effects prospective members views of coming along to a meeting.

> > Second is what actually goes on at the meetings, and how they could
> > get involved.  I was talking recently about version control in
> > and how I use it for not only coding but also keeping revisions of
> > other files, now he as never come across version control in a
> > professional context let alone using it to keep revisions of personal
> > information.  He suggested that it might be a good way to get
> > more people interested if those of use that use things like that that
> > other people might be interested in could do some small talks or
> > demonstrations at the meetings to help people get started.  I
> > quite liked the idea of it I'm sure as a group we already all have a
> > fair few usability solutions that other people in the group and
> > external to the group would find interesting / useful.
> >
> > A couple of idea's of what kind of thing the people I have been
> > speaking to are interested in finding out more about with their Linux
> > systems
> >
> > *Version control
>
> Version control can be a bit of a nightmare if someone teaches but
> strays. On this subject, I would give an overview of what it is and give
> a hands on example session with a modern system such as bazaar.
>
> N.B. I would never go near CVS for newbies here and leave it until
> someone was comfortable and started asking if they came across it.

As an evolution of this it might be better to point the people that are
interested in something like this at resources and help where possible in
the specific instance.  BZR or GIT would be my tool of choice for this but
that would depend on what the other party wanted.  I don't realistically
think this will be that much of a issue as it is fairly niche, unless there
is interest in using VC for keeping revisions of system files etc.

On the whole though I concur it is not the simplest of subject to convey to
someone with any degree of accuracy without fully appreciating what the
person wants out of the solution.

> > *Backing up
>
> Even bigger mine field than version control. Everybody and their mate
> seems to have a back up solution. A common consensus should be reached
> on the solution to be used would need to be discussed.

I'm not sure about that, maybe introduce people interested into solutions
such as rsync etc, Maybe introduce people to the tools that can be used and
allow people to come up with there own solutions.  After all like you say
everyone as a solution that works for them encouraging people to tailor such
things to how they do things will give those that want one a more robust and
customisable solution.

> > *Office replacement software
>
> Open Office is the swiss army knife and the basics are easy to
> teach. :-)
>
> Advanced techniques are another story and would need to be treated with
> care and on an individual basis.

Agreed.

> > *Syncing mobile devices
>
> Very device specific and software is ropey at best. I would steer clear
> of general tutorials and go with one on one help with this one.
>
> > *Cross platform compatibility (sharing thumb drives and such I think
> > is what he as asking about)
>
> Not exactly a subject as it goes. In discussion and tutorials it would
> be a matter of 'If you are sharing with Windows users'. As an example of
> thumb drives.
>
> If for you setting up for Linux, ext3 (or other) file system.
> If sharing to Windows, fat16 or fat32 file system.

A further thought on this is, formats of documents etc that are easily
portable between OS's and how to convert documents between none native
formats.  Granted this does depend on the format but it something to
consider as many people do tend to save in the default format and are
unaware that software xyz supports other formats.

> > *Data organisation (Photos, Music, Search indexing of documents etc)
> >

> This is a personal thing and can be often about how organised you are as
> a person. :-)

Granted but do new users specifically know about alternatives to
applications they are used to or have used on previous platforms.  F-Sport
as a replacement for iPhoto, Cheese for webcam recording etc.  I'm not a KDE
user so I am only citing examples that I know of!

> Getting interest in Linux can often be technical but often not and you
> can promote 'Day to Day' usage which is the only thing a lot think and
> care about.
>
> * The OS and how to get around and admin (simple level)

> * Web browsing (facebook and myspace pfft ;-))

Along with promoting equivalent apps as I mentioned above I think Phil
raises a point here if you want to get younger people using it then social
applications are a big thing to push for and support I suppose :/

> * Email (recieve, send and print)
> * Messaging (instant and softphone)
> * Office work (write, calculate, present or print)
> * Arty (create, edit and print)
> * Audio and Video (play and edit)
>
> The more technical comes later when users/members and interest in more
> increases. The group could have more technical sessions but an idea to
> have a traffic light system for sessions maybe an idea. Green is for the
> new, Amber is for the comfortable and Red is for the gurus.

Also a good idea, this could be carried though if session notes/slides are
made avaliable it would be nice to collate them into a series of howto's
taking people though and building them up in capability and skill.

Sorry about the delay in replying to this everyone.

Wayne