[Bradford] Notes of the FOSS day planning meeting

Andrea Ryan andrea at phluidity.net
Mon Aug 31 13:23:48 UTC 2009

Dear All,

As discussed at the LUG last week, here are the notes of the FOSS day
planning meeting, kindly written up by John H.

Notes of the FOSS Day Planning Group meeting at the Atrium, Bradford
on Wednesday, 12 August 2009

1. The aim of the day would be to provide an introduction to FOSS
software for people working for voluntary agencies; we identified a
number of subjects which could form part of a more advanced day next
year if the demand for that appeared on the day.

2. Suggested date: October 2009 - there may be pros and cons of
suggesting/avoiding half term weeks but we may be dependent on
existing CVS room availability.

3. The day would last from 10 - 3 with four 20 minute presentations
between 10 and 12 repeated between 1 and 3. During the lunch break,
LUG members would take turns to have lunch/be available for visitors.

4. People would be invited to drop in at any time; so there would need
to be enough volunteers to answer questions.

5. The presentations would take place in a separate room with the room
we normally use devoted to continuous demonstrations, space for
business members to talk to potential customers and opportunities for
other members to answer queries from people not attending the
presentation.

6. The presentations would cover:
10 and 1 Email: Evolution/OpenExchange
10.30 and 1.30 Communications: Asterisk
11 and 2 Office software: OOo Writer and Calc (with a note about
foreign languages)
11.30 and 2.30 Intranets: Samba

7. The demonstrations would include:
Two computers - Windows and Linux running side by side to demonstrate
file sharing
Local intranet

8. People would be invited to bring their own laptops to link to the
intranet and also to try out the free CDs we hope to get from Ubuntu
and LinuxFormat.

9. Documents
What is FOSS? (to be distributed with the invitations to attend)
Cost comparison (that Wayne has)
Licensing
List of local companies
Introduction to LUG
Questionnaire to gain feedback from visitors

10. We would provide all the people, computers, posters and handouts
for the day.

11. Refreshments - to be arranged with CVS, tea, coffee, orange juice
and biscuits at minimum.

12. We should also be able to generate some local publicity for what
we are doing.

13. John to write up notes and contact David about meeting CVS staff
to discuss proposal.

14. Presentation topics reserved for a more advanced day:
Licensing
Networking/VPN
John R Hudson