[Bradford] MIcrosoft and BECTA

Andy Coulson coulson.andy at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:52:35 UTC 2009

Morning All,

A while back there was a thread going about Microsoft in Schools and
It's relationship with BECTA.  I argued that whilst BECTA does not
endorse Microsoft it certainly does not give equal billing to all OS
families.  One thing I picked up whilst researching a college
assignment was part of a speech by Jim Knight the Schools Minister at
the Recent BETT trade Show  (Educational Technology):

"I am delighted to hear from BECTA that Microsoft have now risen to
this challenge, by creating a re-investment fund that they will commit
to fund a foundation in support of the Home Access programme."

Home Access is a scheme dedicated to increasing access to the internet
in the home for school children, currently piloting in Oldham and
Sussex.  Whilst this is all very philanthropic and will benefit
children it is hardly supporting an open market and Microsofts
"re-investment" fund will I'm sure reap them significant licensing
income.  I am still firmly of the belief that Linux could offer a
better return on our investment and the open source, community based
approach seems to sit much better with the collaborative approach
teachers have to developing materials for teaching and can capitalise
on that.  If teachers collaborate anmd share materials why not on the
tools too?

Andy Coulson