[Bradford] That laptop

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 10:22:53 UTC 2009

It works!

If you have been following the long drawn out saga of the laptop
(Toshiba Portege R100 - yes google has helped!) with no means of booting
live cd's, usb sticks, etc.

It lives!

Paul, was right - get the hard drive out! I used unetboot to pop an
image on that drive and then managed somehow to get it to sort of
install.

Eventually I got it to boot, but only into a memtest.

Taking the hard drive out again, I could mount it elsewhere as a usb
drive and edit Grub - I also found out there was no vmlinuz file
in /boot, but copying that from the live CD and editing grub, got it
working.

The software update rewrote the grub menu.lst file, which helped.

The keyboard does indeed have a dodgy connection - it's still dodgy but
works most of the time. I had to make sure the password and username
were all done on keys that seem to work always!

Anyway - I'll break it before next month and then ask for more help.

Thanks everyone for their help, tips, opinions, etc.

David Carpenter

nornir

E: david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Skype: carpenter.david

Please save paper and only print this email if you have to.