[Bradford] Raspberry Pi

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Mon Apr 16 22:22:20 UTC 2012

No No No No No!

URL shorteners are evil.  They rely on the shortening service
remaining online for ever and ever and ever and they stop the original
site in gaining SEO value from incoming links.  Using them puts too
much trust on the shortening service remaining online, not losing the
database, not suddenly redirecting to NSFW material, and not tracking
your usage.  And lets be honest, the two real uses of URL shorteners
are a) tracking people and b) hiding spammy-looking links.

Sure we could run our own, but that's still an extra service and at
least one extra HTTP request that we don't really need.  Plus we
really don't need to.

The vast majority of email clients respect RFC2396, which in section E
clearly states:

  Using <> angle brackets around each URI is especially recommended as
a delimiting style for URI that contain whitespace [...] For
robustness, software that accepts user-typed URI should attempt to
recognize and strip both delimiters and embedded whitespace.

This has been around since 1998, and I'm fairly sure it worked even before then.

--
Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer