[Bradford] MPLv2 released

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Fri Jan 6 21:27:59 UTC 2012

What the article doesn't cover in any detail is exactly why I would
want to use MPLv2 with a GPL compatibility clause instead of GPL
alone. There are weasel words about satisfying business needs, but no
actual meat to the argument.  It also doesn't cover how acceptable it
is to use MPLv2 licensed code when developing software designed to
interface with GPL software or which reuses GPL-licensed source code.

Whilst it is admirable to try and unify free and open source licenses
more, there are just too many issues which people disagree on for us
to get very far (IMHO).

I would expect the vast majority of software in terms of lines of code
is either improvements to existing software or plugins designed to
work with specific software. And in these cases it almost always makes
sense to use the same license as the software you are targeting.  In
most cases for me that is GPL, and it is rare that GPL causes problems
for me.

--
Alice Kaerast