[Bradford] Ubuntu

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 2 11:44:03 UTC 2013

Hi Mo, hi everybody, sorry for being late to this discussion.

It's a fascinating question, we are clearly at some kind of turning
point, but who knows how it'll turn out long term?

I think there's a better case for arguing that it's Red Hat that's
playing the worst dominate-or-fragment game.  Whether this is a
faction within Red Hat that's out of control, or whether it's a
classic corporate 'extend-extinguish' roadmap, or whether Red Hat is
too dominant to even know about its effects on the rest of Linux, is
an open question.  But I see most of the disruption coming from Red
Hat, not Ubuntu.  Specifically, that's Gnome 3 and its malign effects
on non-gnome gtk stuff like xfce; and systemd swallowing udev,
cgroups, consolekit etc (what's next, Lennart?).

By contrast, Ubuntu's changes of direction affect only Ubuntu.  Ubuntu
has always been criticised for not pulling its weight in
maintainership, but, looking at what happens when Red Hat maintains
stuff, frankly I prefer Ubuntu that way.  Oh, and I haven't noticed
Ubuntists flaming and astroturfing like the Lennartists do.

I love lists and people that list things, so lets have a go at your list, Mo:

1. I leave Ubuntu alone and Ubuntu leaves me alone.  I wish I could
say the same for Red Hat.  If I feel the need for Ubuntu, I use Mint
:D

2. Maybe Mint will end up based directly on Debian.  I can't see
Debian or KDE changing direction to accommodate Ubuntu: (a) it would
be silly to try, and (b) they are not the sort of communities that can
easily change direction ;-)

3. I wish Ubuntu Touch well, and Ubuntu Edge too.  I worry that if the
Edge fails to meet its finance goals the knock-on effects will be
immense, we'll be stuck in an IOS and Android-only world forever.
[Windows Metro being dead already]

4. Please please please succeed in convergence, everybody else's
attempts are truly hideous, but if it is successful, it would be nice
if there was a way for the wider community to be able to reuse
Ubuntu's stuff.  Which is the only real point of the current moaning
about Ubuntu.

Just my opinions; please feel free to agree or mock.
-D.