[Bradford] Stopping services starting each time I boot up

david C caprenter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:30:10 UTC 2013

Hi Folks

I'm using Xubuntu 12.04 and as I mess with stuff I end up adding a
load of what I would call 'server services 'to my machine - which the
machine starts each time I boot up - e.g. Postgres database. VNC, (I
also see Timidity which is some audio thing), and probably a bunch of
other things that I rarely actually use.

I'm looking for a useful way to find out what services are starting
and then finding ways of stopping them from starting up (but still
being able ot fire them up once logged in if I need them)

I'm not talking about using the GUI (Settings - Start up Applications)
as that doesn't seem to cover these background services.

Anyone got any quick tips or good google links? I'm thinking there is
a config file somewhere?