[Bradford] Turing's curse

John R. Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Tue Aug 20 10:51:32 UTC 2013

Hi all

I pointed my brother to the video we watched last evening and he
commented:

‘Absolutely fascinating! Not least the picture of the IBM s/360 which
brought back a few memories.

‘Also re the "Bulk Core" - nothing fundamentally new here, but the size
and cost have changed radically, as he said!

‘I have just upgraded the memory in [a] computer which cost £43 for 1GB
on a card about 15cm x 4cm.

‘A little research in Wikipedia indicates that, if I could have
purchased such a quantity in 1980 (unlikely given that even a top end
IBM mainframe would probably only support up to 512MB), it would
probably have occupied several 6' cabinets and cost me in the region of
£65,000,000.’