[Bradford] Ubuntu shopping lens

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 13:29:47 UTC 2013

________________________________
 From: Dick Thomas <Dick at xpd259.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 7 January 2013, 17:42
Subject: [Bradford] Ubuntu shopping lens

I think It was brian who said about the shopping lens on ubuntu

I just found this while cleaning out my twitter favs

RT @honlinenews: Amazon shopping feature for GNOME Shell  http://h-online.com/-1776636/ftw

this makes me sad :(
I run GNOME 3 desktop. There is a fantastic site for extensions where you can install/uninstall any extension with a click. This is just one of those extensions. You like it or you don't. If you don't then you don't install it. It isn't built-in like it is in Unity, as a lens.
In GNOME 3 there are some good extensions. For example, there is a GNOME 2-like extension but with an improvement. Instead of moving to one side, for a sub menu, just click and it appears below. Also, it is possible to have the GNOME 3 menu present/hide without having to go to the hot corner. Then there's the equivalent to the old force close applet that used to reside on the GNOME 2 panel. Click that, then the 'locked up' application, and down it goes. Lot's more. It's a desktop with extensions.
It would be good to see an extension to permit lens-like displays - that's the only thing that Unity has that doesn't feature in GNOME 3. The bad things about Unity, such as the common application menu aren't in GNOME 3.