[Bradford] Ubuntu

Mohammed Djavanroodi mo.roodi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 08:09:19 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I'm new here and this is my first submission so please be gentle!

Now a little background. I work as a web developer and while at work I have
to use Windows, at home I solely use Ubuntu and have done for a while,
although I've only recently started using it exclusively. I've been playing
around with Linux on and off for the past 10 or so years but I'm by no
means l33t!

What I really wanted to do was guage people's feelings towards Ubuntu and
Canonical.

In the community there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings towards the
approach and decisions that Canonical are making, from setting unity as
their default desktop environment in 11.04 to plans to use mir as their
display server in 13.10 onwards to their smart scopes and Amazon search
results.

And then there's Ubuntu Touch and Ubuntu Edge as well. Basically it would
seems Mark Shuttleworth has had a plan all along and now we're starting to
see the plan which is convergence.

My own personal opinions are mixed. I like Unity now, but that's not always
been the case. The Amazon search results was just a complete mistake, and I
think IF done right the whole convergence thing looks like it shows
promise, although as a traditional laptop users I hope they don't make any
compromises!

So here are my questions for discussion:

1. What are people's thoughts on Ubuntu?

2. Do you think using Mir will cause fragmentation in Linux?

3. Can Ubuntu touch gain any traction in a market dominated by Android and
iOS?

4. Can Ubuntu succeed in convergence where others have compromised too much?

I appreciate that this is quite a wide range of different discussions. I
also want to open the floor to more general discussions about Ubuntu as
well. Some in the Linux community have said that Mark Shuttleworth wants to
be the next Steve Jobs... Is that ridiculous?

Also Ubuntu is the distro that Steam recommends, with Ubuntu changing to
Mir which distro will steam suggest for it's Linux gamers?

Apologies this submission is a bit of a brain splurge!

Thanks,
Mo