[Bradford] Meeting notes

Kriss Kriss at XIXs.com
Tue Dec 30 12:45:18 UTC 2014

BTW

Not  specifically Java, the date bug is down to ISO 8601 defining something
called a week year due to some organisations wanting years to contain a
whole number of weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date

if you look at
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html
from your example you will see that YYYY and yyyy may provide different
years for a few days each year.

So if you get confused and use the wrong one it will work perfectly, until
it doesn't :)

Yay, code!

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Alice Kaerast <alice at kaerast.info> wrote:

> Hi Bradlug,
>
> There's been some interesting updates to some topics covered at this
> month's meeting in the past few days.
>
> David's woes with formatting dates accurately have been felt by Twitter,
> who had a partial outage last night.  It was caused by some code simliar to
> the following:
>
>   scala> new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("w YYYY").format(new
> java.util.Date)
>   res0: String = 1 2015
>
> Oops, the java year-end leap week raises it's head again.  This is
> actually the first week of 2015 in java world, so Twitter was sending
> headers for 365 days in the future.
>
> This might be a good place to mention
> http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time
> and the linked follow-up post.
>
> And following on from t'other Dave's talk,  at 31c3 this week we learnt
> that security of the GSM mobile network is horribly broken (4G is
> marginally better).  And that the NSA can break at least some
> implementations of SSH and VPNs.  But it's believed that PGP, Jabber with
> OTR and RedPhone are probably still secure.
>
> Also at 31c3 was a talk on data flows at airports, nothing terribly new -
> but a decent slide deck I can use to do a powerpoint karaoke talk next
> month if people are interested.
>
> Regards
> Alice
>

> On 21 December 2014 at 21:44, John R. Hudson <j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Meeting notes from last Monday, complete with links - thanks David and
>> David - are now up; I have also changed the Meeting page to reflect the
>> fact that meetings in 2015 will now be on the second Monday of each
>> month.
>>
>> John

Kriss

http://www.WetGenes.com/