[Bradford] Article for Spanish speakers

Alan D Barnard alanbarnard at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 4 15:05:49 UTC 2014

Recycling Computer Group of the University of Vigo (Gruvi) is one of the
flagship programs of volunteering in the academic institution. This year
they delivered to various non-profit organizations of Vigo, Ourense and
Pontevedra few hundred repaired and ready to use equipment.

The idea came during 2005-2006 when they found that the University of
Vigo was accumulating many computers that had become obsolete for
teaching and research but could be perfectly recoverable for the
purposes of many social institutions, with few resources to purchase
computers. So Gruvi born with a concern for the recycling and reuse of
what would end up being computer waste. His main ally was from the
beginning the Friends of Linux Pontevedra (GALPon), an organization that
promotes the use of free software, which is using the equipment, and
also trains student volunteers. Six volunteers currently enrolled
students, three in the world of engineering, but also one of Fine Arts
and areas that have nothing to do with the computer because it is not
necessary, as Miguel Anxo Bouzada, GALPon president and project
coordinator explains Gruvi.

The group repairs old computers (most have ten years of use and
sometimes three computers do only one) and will introduce the software.
The advantage of free software is that 'we can make it work as we want,
we make a few adjustments and a very careful selection of the programs
will be installed to meet some functions dterminadas without effects or
rare things, to be operational and functional' . This was not possible
with traditional operating systems like Windows or Mac Anxo Bouzada
Miguel explains that at first worked with an operating system sponsored
by the regional government named Guadalinex thought for underperforming
teams. Over time changes that do not convince them were made in 2008 and
set out to create a new distribution called Puss and used as a base
Debian, which were born other well known as Ubuntu. Years later created
a special operating system for children, rogues Diego ('and now I'm a
grandfather I entered this concern'), already installed last year on
computers donated to Berce association, since you applied to work with
children. Meanwhile, on another occasion made a setup Ubuntu Christian
at the request of an evangelical church, 'as if it is a Jewish or Muslim
association, we could make a filtering system for them, "he explains.