[Bradford] Linux Help Please!

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 6 11:53:41 UTC 2014

> Or similar should do it, you may need to do that for gpg first. Every few
> months somebody at work manages to do the Redhat equivalent. They should
> make it harder to uninstall such key packages in my opinion.

And reduce the number of such key packages... and distinguish better
between install, upgrade and remove use cases... and make it easier to
rollback changes... and mitigate the consequences of removal... and
have the tools fall back gracefully if components or package state
data are unavailable... and... and...

There are dozens of learning points, but through the duopoly
Debian/Red Hat mindset, this style of dependency management has become
so orthodox that almost nobody sees what a grotesque liability it is.
Every six months some pillock descends on the Slackware LQ forum to
tell us how badly we need this shit.  Er, no.  Every year some pillock
proposes mating .deb with .rpm and making the resulting son of
incestuous union [123] mandatory.  Er, no.

If it makes you feel better, David, we seem to agree that you weren't
driving without due care.

-D.

[123] That's a Pixies lyric.