[Bradford] Fwd: Don't let the MPAA buy the Web

John R. Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Mon Jan 20 13:15:12 UTC 2014

I think it is important not to overstate this move. Of course, the MPAA
has been trying for years to control people's lives and they need to be
resisted but most of the work on HTML is done by WHATWG and not by W3C.

So the MPAA would have to persuade WHATWG or persuade W3C to fork the
HTML standards. And, even if they were able to do that, they would have
to persuade the browser makers to include their code.

Given the shift to smartphones - Windows is expected to have only 15% of
the global market for PCs, tablets and smartphones this year - they
would have to persuade Google and Apple to insert the DRM code in their
browsers to have any chance of impacting the web.

In other words, a strategy to protect our freedom needs to focus not
just on W3C but also on WHATWG, Google and Apple.