[Bradford] Monday's meeting

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Wed Mar 26 19:59:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

Following on from David's talk last week I decided to have another go at
monitoring aircraft overhead directly without having to use the likes of
Flightradar24.

Well I bought the kit off of ebay on Monday (a £12 DAB/FM/TV receiver
running an RTL chipset), and today I'm sat running Dump1090 (
https://github.com/antirez/dump1090) with the basic TV aerial out of the
box, and I'm watching a handful of aircraft all over the north of England.
 With a more frequency-specific antenna placed outside who know's how much
more I'd see.

This is ADS-B, running at 1090Mhz, Automatic Depedent Suirveillance
Broadcast.  A system which aircraft use to let other planes know their
speed, height, location, squawk, callsign, etc.  Instead of using radar to
work out a plane's position, the plane announces where it is using its own
GPS system.  It's the system that FlightRadar24 is based on, but what
Flightradar24 won't give you is the aircraft which have ADS-B but which
aren't sending location information (eg. the Boeing C-17a currently
overhead)

One can also monitor ACARS, which airlines use to send short messages
between their aircraft and ground staff.  This operates on the standard
airband, so is easy to decode with a standard airband radio and some
software running on your laptop.

I'll bring along my kit to the next meeting if people are interested, I may
have started decoding other things by then too.

Regards
Alice

On 23 March 2014 21:52, John R. Hudson <j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With apologies for the delay, there is finally a report up on Monday's
> meeting.
>
> John

Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer