[Bradford] Monday’s meeting

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:39:30 UTC 2015

On a more interesting Computer Science note, consider instead machine
encodable statue.

Tax statue (like many others) is currently rules-based. Humans are
great at rules based systems, but designing logics cabable of
efficiently processing rules based system under the Turin limit
(consistent and complete) is very challenging. Encoding computer
systems of this type is a hard problem (from a computer science
perspective). Large commercial houses are most often poorly equipped
to develop software that's hard in this way. Academia lacks numbers to
take on hard problems with volume So, it should come as no surprise
that there have been so many failures.

Considered from this perspective, the base problem lies with the way
the statue has been formulated.

Expressed as deterministic process algorithms coupled with rules-based
definitions, then the statue would be readily machine encodable,
perhaps using a domain-specific language with a grammar suitable for
code generation. Humans would still need to argue definitions but the
machine processing side would be readible portable.

All sounds very much do-able to me. At which point, I stopped thinking
about the technical problem...

If anyone cares enough to poke people at the cabinet office, I'm no
longer currently bound by an exclusivity clause so I'd be happy to
tell them how it could be implemented pro bono. Or at least, which
academics to ask about the details...

Robert