[Bradford] Round and round the email server

Devo Too mike.goodman at devotoo.org.uk
Mon Dec 23 17:20:07 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

I'm still stuck and unable to move forward with a mail server, which for
more weeks than I care to count, has also stymied any chance of progress
on various initiatives I'm involved in. This is on a remote server in a
data centre, not on a desktop hidden behind my own router.

The damned thing is still refusing all connections, incoming and
outgoing. Not iptables, that's been removed from the list of suspects,
although there may be some other port or routing configuration I'm not
aware of. Nor can I find any fault in the DNS or reverse DNS setups.
/var/vmail/mailboxes/* appears to have the correct ownership and
permissions. But I don't have the experience to put my finger on
anything else specific.

So if anybody is up on DNS, firewalls, the
Postscript/Dovecot/Rspamd/Redis/MariaDB email server on Debian (it says
Stretch but I'm trying it on Buster) by Thomas Leister, see
https://thomas-leister.de/en/mailserver-debian-stretch/ please do get in
touch.

Alternatively, if any of you know a freelance sysadmin who knows about
this stuff, please pass on this email address and ask them to contact me
asap.

With regard to freelance work, this is likely to become a feature with
the amount of server work supporting the various projects growing over
time. Provided, of course, I can get this damned thing sorted out before
the whole edifice collapses around my ears.

Seasonal bahh humbugs and TIA,

Mike