[Bradford] Fruit Pies

Bernard Czenkusz bernie.skipole at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 16:27:09 UTC 2020

Hi Mike, from my own experience with a Raspberry Pi 3, (though I would
suggest you go for the latest pi4):

Items you need:

USB power supply - needs to be a good one, I'd go for the 'official
raspberry pi power supply'.

An SD card (I think the pi 4 uses a micro format of SD card) - you can
download the OS onto it, be aware that you can download an image with a
desktop environment on it - in which case you may want the 4G option, or
a 'lite' image with just a command line - in which case the 2G option
would probably be fine. My laptop is Linux mint and it has a 'USB image
writer' facility which worked fine.

I use the lite image with just the command line - after putting the
image onto the SD card, I then plugged the SD card into the pi,
connected a hdmi cable to a TV, connect a USB keyboard and mouse, and
ethernet cable to my router. I then set up the pi with wifi and ssh
service using a config facility included in the OS.

Once that is done, the pi can be completely 'headless',  you can connect
to it from your PC by wifi and ssh. No keyboard/mouse/tv necessary.
However that only gives you a command line, good for setting up
services, but for general programming you may want the graphical
environment of a text editor. I do that on my laptop, and then when
required upload files to the pi by sftp. Rather as if the pi was a
remote server. If you set the ssh with keys, this becomes very easy, not
even a password to remember.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading, the next version will inevitably be
more powerful and prettier than the last. The hardware connectivity is
another world in itself, I've had a camera attached, and temperature
sensors, and LED's flashing, all interesting stuff to play with.  The
hardware pin outs changed from the very first versions of pi, but have
been consistently stable since then.

Cheers

    Bernard