[Bradford] Excel: Why using Microsoft's tool caused Covid-19 results to be lost

Moanin moanin at mikegoodman.uk
Tue Oct 6 10:09:19 UTC 2020

John, whatever the official position, the Civil Service, at least at its
higher levels, unofficially insists upon proprietary software.

An instance is when HMRC tried to make it possible, even easy, for small
businesses to submit various returns online a senior Civil Servant
insisted upon a proprietary version of pdf. So, of course, open source
users had their returns rejected.

Many small businesses were fined (later reversed but it took a bloody
long time) for late or none submission. Employees were robbed of their
pension entitlements because they were included in the rejected submissions.

I was one of the victims of that imbecile's action. It was not until
much later I discovered I was only one of, no exaggeration, many thousands.

On the specifics of the spreadsheet as a web app, invented especially
for Bozo & The Cabinet Clowns, the number of columns, from what I have
been reading, was not the only cockup in its inception.

Cheers,

Mike

"Moanin" is a track wrtitten by Charles Mingus, first public recording
was on his album "Blues and Roots", 1959.