[Bradford] Android - Recommendations for more freedom

bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk
Sat Sep 5 15:41:16 UTC 2020

 Hi Nick,
Thanks for the information. It would be interesting to see some of these apps in action if you are at the next online meeting.

I use Nextcloud for my notes, calendar sync, contact sync and auto photo back up + auto back up of other files (audio etc). However, the app I use for displaying the Calendar is the Google one. The reason is because I like the screen widget. However, if there is a similar thing, that is OS, then I would like to see it. Also, in conjunction with Nextcloud, I use DAVx and ICSx.

I don't use a password manager because I have an alternative arrangement. On Linux I use KeePassX but if I was starting again I might decide to use BitWarden as it probably has a better UX and it is well respected.

I use OSMAnD exclusively but I agree, it is seriously lacking in respect to search. I get round this by using a computer for locating places, prior to needing then in the field, and then marking them up as 'Favourites' on the app.
Recently I've discovered how to get the app to plot my path and distance on the map, though I haven't entirely mastered this feature yet.

Firefox is my main browser, though I strongly dislike browsing on a touch screen device. I find it really hard to understand why people I know prefer a tablet to a laptop. For regularly used sites I do desktop shortcuts. For example, I found a site that gives information in regard to the sea wave height and temperature. Whilst it talks about swimming with 1m waves at 20 degrees I have found that 0.5m is my preferred maximum and minimum temperature 24 degrees. (usual temperature for a sports swimming pool is about 28 degrees).

I use 'KDE Connect' for various things.

For a terminal I use Termux.

I rarely watch videos on a mobile but, when I want a YouTube alternative, it's NewPipe.

Not on my mobile, but on a tablet that I use exclusively for radio/podcasts, I use, on a daily basis, AntennaPod for podcasts.

Sometimes I use Kore, not only for remote controlling Kodi, but also for sharing videos from mobile to Kodi.

... and of course, not forgetting F-Droid as an Open Source repository alternative to the Play Store.

Brian