[Bradford] Android - Recommendations for more freedom

bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk bradlug at hackroyd.org.uk
Mon Sep 7 18:59:12 UTC 2020

 I use Zim on the desktop and I find that the Nextcloud app that is simply called 'Notes' renders those notes very well. I put the Zim directory under 'Notes' on Nextcloud so that it syncs all my desktop notes to Nextcloud and hence my mobile. Notes doesn't download all the notes to the mobile. Instead, when you do a search on it, then it will do a download on demand. 'Notes' renders quite well. It produces bold type as bold but italics as bounded by // the text //. Notes can't render any images I have included in Zim so it just gives me the title of the image. Notes is very good at searching. It searches not only titles but words within the documents too. Not all editors can do that. However, it cannot do two word searches.

As far as note taking goes it's basic, though I think you might be able to do  do markdown.

If you want something more ambitious, for notes, then try Joplin. I used to use that on desktop and phone. I abandoned it for Zim because it, at one time, was inadequate on 2 word search and also search within the target document once found. I did keep feeding back my concerns to the developer but not a lot happened - however, I think all that has changed and if I were to start again I think I might go back to Joplin. Definitely worth a look. I think there is a Firefox extension too.
Joplin - an open source note taking and to-do application with synchronisation capabilities

|  |  |

|  |
Joplin - an open source note taking and to-do application with synchroni...

I don't know about IRC but I find the Matrix / Element(previously Riot)  project interesting.
Brian