[Bradford] Unknown filesystem "nfts"

Moanin moanin at mikegoodman.uk
Sat Jun 5 22:46:37 UTC 2021

Hi Folks,

I purchased an external Seagate Basic drive for backup and storage
purposes. The enquiries I made prior to purchase, repeated on a few
sites, was that if it works on 'doze it will work on Linux. To date I
haven't found anything to contradict that.

I made the mistake of buying from CCL. Once upon a time you could ask at
the counter and they would respond with "We don't officially support
{your OS if it's not 'Doze} but off the record and as a Linux user
myself (or call across to a Linux user to help) I'd suggest . . ."

Nowadays it's "if yer don't got 'Doze we'ze don't want ter 'noze". Brick
wall. Hence my last ever purchase from CCL has already taken place.

My laptop picks up nothing. My Pc says "Unable to access "Seagate Basic"
and puts the Unknown filesystem "nfts" on the next line.

It's fairly obvious I can format this drive but what is the recommended
file system to format it to? Do I need to leave the 1MB "boot" bit at
the beginning?

The use purpose is to first of all back up the laptop so I can reinstall
the OS and add a little reconfiguration, than rinse and repeat with the
PC after installing a bigger hdd. Thereafter use it as a regular backup
drive including the rsync backups for the VPSs.

TIA,

Mike