[Bradford] ACER laptop fun

nick@ngrhodes.co.uk nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Sun Jun 27 11:32:01 UTC 2021

Hi everybody,

Still lurking, though I've not used Linux on the desktop directly for many months, I've still been using daily via command line on remote systems.
Anyhow, I inheritted an ACER laptop and decided to give LinuxMint a try, I was suprised to find after installing it would not boot, no sign of grub loading, gave Ubuntu and Debian a try, same issue.
After a bit of Googling I discovered that ACER UEFI is rather Linux unfriendly and you need to manually point UEFI at your bootloader after install, does not matter if your using secureboot or not. How annoying !!!
Once over that hurdle everything else worked out of the box.
One thing ACER does that is a nice little security feature is that you have to set a BIOS password to change the UEFI settings, which does really help secure things up a little bit more.

Cheers, Nick